Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI Comes to Washington

Pope Benedict XVI is here in the Washington, DC area this week - yesterday he met with the President at the White House, and today he is celebrating Mass at Nationals Stadium before departing for New York City for a Mass at Yankee Stadium and praying at Ground Zero.

Yesterday morning, I got an email from my friend, the "QB", who wanted to know if any of the DC Queens wanted to meet her downtown to catch a glimpse of the Pope in his "Pope Mobile" traveling down Pennsylvania Avenue. I was immediately intrigued - I didn't have to work yesterday, and frankly, was not looking forward to a day of housecleaning and grocery shopping (...ugh....) so I emailed her back and said count me in! This looked like it would be another of our "Sleuthing Expeditions", having previously checked out 1) the park and bridge in Vienna, VA where Robert Hanssen left his messages for the Soviets, 2) the Watergate Hotel during it's "Firesale" last fall (including the rooms where the Plumbers directed the burglars breaking into the DNC), and 3) "Midgetville", also in Vienna, VA, which sadly, lives on only in our memories as the small cottages have been razed to make way for McMansions built for inhabitants of all sizes.

I am so glad the QB proposed the idea of seeing the Pontiff...the pictures don't really do justice to the beautiful, cloud-free day we had here yesterday, or the large number of the faithful waiting to get a glimpse of Pope Benedict. It was a great day, and I feel lucky to have been downtown and had a chance to see the Pope.

So, without further ado, here is my photo montage of pictures taken by the QB's friend, "J", who was perched somewhere down by 20th Street, and by me of the protesters hanging out in front of the White House:













































Now, those of us who have lived here for a while know that whenever there is a dignitary in town, or a hot-button issue being discussed, the counter-protesters are out in force. Thank God for the 1st Amendment which gives these people the right to be the douche bags they are:















































6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HabbibiGooz is just happy that now he can get back to a standard "Orange Crush" on the morning train ride -- instead of the super-duper orange crush of the past two days!

And for all the cafeteria people to go back home...

HG

werts said...

Those signs are amazing.

Two Cent Thinkier said...

Dude, I love your profile. Interests include: music and not talking. I'm surprised you left off: being pummeled by my nephews while they scream at the top of their lungs.

The idiots and their moronic signs/chants were definitely on display downtown on Wednesday. For the most part, the hard core Christians yelling at Catholics for not being Christians were either a) completely ignored, b) used as photo fodder for people like me, or c) laughed at to their faces.

Two Cent Thinkier said...

Sorry, my bad, your profile says "talking and not talking" - is that from "Best in Show?" The one character (who's 30ish - maybe) is talking about her 90 year old husband and she says, as she's gushing about how much they love each other, "We could talk or not talk for hours."

I love Christopher Guest movies...

werts said...

yeah, that's from Best In Show. I think it sums me up pretty well. As for the signs, I thought they were just hilarious slogans. Celibacy really has failed, just in general. And I understand taking the Catholic church to task for years of covering for a bunch of pedophiles, but arguing that they're not Christians? Who do you even root for?

Two Cent Thinkier said...

There were actually a few of those "Christians" downtown. They are just absolutely convinced that the Pope is the devil and all his followers are going to hell.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that doesn't sound too Christian to me...sadly though, I think there are alot of hard-core Christians who think like that and aren't afraid to express their opinions. Usually they think they're the only ones bound for heaven.

I heard this funny Howard Stern clip years ago - they were talking about gay people, and Howard says something like "I think God judges us on how we treat gay people - if you're mean to them you don't get in." I'm hoping those Christian haters are in for a rude awakening when they get to the pearly gates.