Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Most Terrifying Headline Ever"

So sayeth John Cole at Balloon Juice. I report, you decide.

Lynchings in Congo as penis theft panic hits capital

By Joe Bavier Tue Apr 22, 1:24 PM ET

KINSHASA (Reuters) - Police in Congo have arrested 13 suspected sorcerers accused of using black magic to steal or shrink men's penises after a wave of panic and attempted lynchings triggered by the alleged witchcraft.

Reports of so-called penis snatching are not uncommon in West Africa, where belief in traditional religions and witchcraft remains widespread, and where ritual killings to obtain blood or body parts still occur.

Rumours of penis theft began circulating last week in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo's sprawling capital of some 8 million inhabitants. They quickly dominated radio call-in shows, with listeners advised to beware of fellow passengers in communal taxis wearing gold rings.

Purported victims, 14 of whom were also detained by police, claimed that sorcerers simply touched them to make their genitals shrink or disappear, in what some residents said was an attempt to extort cash with the promise of a cure.

"You just have to be accused of that, and people come after you. We've had a number of attempted lynchings. ... You see them covered in marks after being beaten," Kinshasa's police chief, Jean-Dieudonne Oleko, told Reuters on Tuesday.

Police arrested the accused sorcerers and their victims in an effort to avoid the sort of bloodshed seen in Ghana a decade ago, when 12 suspected penis snatchers were beaten to death by angry mobs. The 27 men have since been released.

"I'm tempted to say it's one huge joke," Oleko said.

"But when you try to tell the victims that their penises are still there, they tell you that it's become tiny or that they've become impotent. To that I tell them, 'How do you know if you haven't gone home and tried it'," he said.

Some Kinshasa residents accuse a separatist sect from nearby Bas-Congo province of being behind the witchcraft in revenge for a recent government crackdown on its members.

"It's real. Just yesterday here, there was a man who was a victim. We saw. What was left was tiny," said 29-year-old Alain Kalala, who sells phone credits near a Kinshasa police station.

Uhhh...just wondering about that last quote - was he recently in the pool and suffering the same fate as George "Shrinkage" Costanza?



Personally, I think this whole thing will be used now as excuses by...ahem...smaller gentleman to justify their size (not that size matters or anything....): "I'd be bigger if it wasn't for that black magic curse put on me by the local sorcerer!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am here to say, and I speak for a few others when I utter it, "Size DOES matter". How lightly you brush that little statement aside. Have a small bit of sympathy for the the owners of the cursed tiny members. One should get a voodoo doll and see if the same minimizing effect occurs. First, let me find my gold ring and call a cab....
The QB

Two Cent Thinkier said...

I know, how many times have we Queens had the discussion about size and whether it matters? Usually it ends up with at least one (and often times, two) of the Queens becomming flushed extremely embarassed.

As for the voodoo doll, let me just say that I like my dwarves and midgets and all, but when it comes to minimizing a certain member in my household, I'll pass... :)

Two Cent Thinkier said...

Obviously this whole subject has gotten me so flustered I left out a word: the sentence should be "flushed AND extremely embarrased".

Anonymous said...

Penis Theft?!?!?!? Only in Africa.. I wonder if George Costanza would have used that excuse for his.. uhm...shrinkage...had he known that it was an option?? "The Scoceror touched me and Now, look what happened!!!!" I can just hear him saying that!

Anonymous said...

when you're ready to get mad, click here:

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/ugh-by-digby-via-vet-voice-fayetteville.html

Remember, this is how the W Administration is taking care of the troops!

ServingPatriot

Two Cent Thinkier said...

Thanks, SP. That's got me riled up!

Two Cent Thinkier said...

S, it reminds me of the story about how chewing gum was turning people into sex fiends that was floating around Egypt while we were there. It was all an Israeli plot, of course.

What's funny is how many times we were walking, shopping and laughing down on road 9...while chewing gum. No wonder those merchants were so nice to us - they thought they were going to get lucky! NOT!!!!!!!!