Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Break from Politics

You know, living here in DC it's really easy to get overwhelmed by politics. What happens here on Capitol Hill makes the local section of the news because it happens in our backyards. The front section of the Washington Post on Sundays is about 25 pages long - today the top story above the fold is about John McCain (HG calls him "Huggy McSame") and his bad temper. There are also stories about coal mining, such as it is, in West Virginia, the National Harbor in Prince George's County, and something about the Prom, which I skipped entirely, since it's been many, many moons since I went to (or worried about) a Prom. Inside there are full page stories about Obama, Clinton and the Pennsylvania primary, Sadr calling off his cease-fire, the economy, and on and on and on. Same story, different day.

Anyways, it seems like a good day to take a break from politics. It's pouring here, with some crackles of thunder off in the distance, just the kind of day to make my Top 10 list of all time favorite movies. So without further ado, here goes:

1. The Godfather. The single best American movie ever made. My kids and husband are so tired of hearing me say that. I remember watching this movie in my senior year in High School and being completely blown away. I watch this movie every time it shows up on cable, and have the collector's DVD set. I'm hoping the Godfather Saga is released on DVD - that movie combines parts 1 and 2 into a chronological saga with extra scenes (like how Hyman Roth and Vito Corleone meet). If you haven't watched it, rent it or borrow my copy.





2. Not surprisingly, The Godfather, Part 2. I really go back and forth between which of the two movies is my favorite. Usually when I watch Part 2 I think it's the best, and then when I watch Part 1, I think that one is my fave. They really are both my favorites, but I think Part 1 is the best simply because it introduces us to the Corleone family and is such a beautiful movie. Part 2 gives us the back story of Vito Andolini and how he ends up in America. The early 20th century scenes were shot in New York City and you truly believe you are there. Interesting sidenote: Robert De Niro (Best Supporting Actor, Part 2) and Marlon Brando (Best Actor, Part 1) are the only actors to have won academy awards for playing the same character.





3. Dances with Wolves. I love this movie. It is absolutely visually stunning; in the director's commentary, you hear how all the scenes were shot in the Badlands and other parts of South Dakota - no blue screens or computer aided graphics. I think it's a terrific story, and treats the Native Americans as real people. In the director's commentary, they talk about how this movie was previewed in Rapid City, and how whites and Native Americans came out of the movie together in tears.




4. The Shawshank Redemption. This movie came out in 1994, and while it was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture, it was completely overshadowed by two of the other nominees that year: Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction (the other Best Picture nominees were Four Weddings and a Funeral and the also underrated Quiz Show). This movie has gotten more popular over the last 5-10 years or so, and routinely shows up on Top 100 American movies lists.

5. The Best Years of Our Lives. The Best Picture of 1947, this movie revolves around the lives of three returning servicemen from WWII (an Army Sargent who fought in the Pacific, a Navy Seaman badly wounded in the Pacific, and an Army Air Forces Captain who flew in in Europe), all of whom have difficulties returning to life in Boone City, a small midwestern town. New York Times movie critic Bosley Crowther said this about the movie, "It is seldom that there comes a motion picture which can be wholly and enthusiastically endorsed not only as superlative entertainment but as food for quiet and humanizing thought..." The movie was so successful in humanizing the difficulties returning servicemen face that it was re-released after the Korean War as fighting men were once again returning home from combat.

6. V for Vendetta. "Remember, Remember the fifth of November/The Gunpowder Treason and Plot/I know of no reason/Why Gunpowder Treason/Should Ever be Forgot". Definitely a movie for those who tend towards conspiracy theories. Not surprisingly, it's a popular choice in my household.

7. Miracle. 1980 Olympics. USA vs. Russia. Do you believe in miracles?





8. It's a Wonderful Life. Beyond being one of my favorite movies, I think that's my personal motto. Set in a small town in upstate New York (rumored to be based on Seneca Falls), a small town hero finds out how valued he is in life. I watch this movie every Christmas and have about 15 pieces from the Enesco "It's a Wonderful Life" collectibles set released through Walgreens from 2003-2008.

9. Star Wars Episode IV. My boys are huge Star Wars fans. We have all 6 episodes, plus the Clone Wars DVDs (cartoons) and usually throw the movies in to watch on long car trips. I try to explain to them how revolutionary Star Wars was when it was released in 1977. Awesome special effects for the time, great characters, cool flight scenes - Star Wars had it all.

10. The Manchurian Candidate. The original, not the remake - although the remake was interesting. I love Frank Sinatra (and not just because he's a great singer AND rumored to be the model of the "Johnny Fontaine" character in the Godfather). I know Hillary Clinton is sometimes compared to Angela Landsbury's character, but I think Barabara Bush is a better comparison. As is often the case, the book is better than the movie (same goes for Dances with Wolves and the Godfather).

Update: Tied at #10 is All the President's Men. I saw this movie as a Sophomore in college taking a class in Media and Politics and immediately fell for it. I used to listen to G. Gordon "The G-Man" Liddy when he was on 106.7 - he hated the movie, but it's definitely worth seeing. My Watergate connections are that we used to live in a townhouse once owned by Carl Bernstein, and a friend and I checked out the room at the Watergate Hotel used by the Plumbers and their accomplices while breaking into the DNC.

Notable omissions from this list: My favorite CBC movie, Anne of Green Gables (Parts 1 & 2) and my favorite HBO mini-series, Band of Brothers.

No comments: